Friday, June 20, 2014

8 - Best Laid Plans

While Maia was waiting and hoping for another addition to the family, she spent the days playing with Romeo and Juliet in their new nursery.




Very soon, she began to have that familiar nauseated feeling.




Maia was pregnant again!




The twins were growing fast, and it was soon time to celebrate their birthday. Maia threw a big party, and everyone came, except for Steve, who said he had a gig he couldn’t cancel, but would be over later.

First, Romeo blew out the candles.




Then, it was Juliet’s turn.




Both the children aged up well.







After the twins went to sleep, Steve came over. Maia knew it was time to tell Steve that she was expecting.  After a relaxing evening together in the hot tub, Maia broached the subject.

“Steve, I have some really exciting news that I wanted to share with you,” she told him.

“Oh, did you manage to snag that gig at the MN8?  That’s great!” He enthused.

“Well, no,” Maia said. “I’m pregnant!”




He didn’t take the news very well.




“You’re WHAT??” Steve shouted. “You know I don’t like kids. Why do you think I really skipped your twins’ birthday party? I can’t believe you did this without considering what I want. And I want no part of this, or you,” he said, and left.

Maia didn’t have any contact with Steve for the duration of the pregnancy.  She didn’t really expect to see him again, but he showed up at the hospital for the baby’s birth. 




Steve followed her to her home, and Maia thought maybe he’d had a change of heart after meeting the little boy she had named David.

But he was still angry.




“So, you’ve forced me to become a father, Maia.  Are you happy now?”

“You don’t have to see him if you don’t want to, Steve,” Maia told him. “I can take care of him by myself, if I must.”




“You don’t get it, do you? My reputation will be in ruins once it gets out that we’ve had a child out of wedlock. It will be the talk of the town and the paparazzi won’t let anyone forget about this.  The only way to avoid this mess you’ve made is for me to marry you. So put that kid down somewhere and let’s get this over with right now.”




 “I won’t marry you, Steve, “ Maia said, her voice trembling.  “You don’t even like children, and I would never marry someone who feels the way you do. And I don’t care what the gossips say. So consider this relationship over.”




 “Are you seriously telling me we’re through? You want me as an enemy?  Well, you got it.  But get this straight. I’m breaking it off with you, and no one will blame me for it after I tell my side of this tale,” he said coldly. “And good riddance to you and your misbegotten spawn. But you’re not getting away with this insult to me. Mark my words, I’m going to pay you back in spades and destroy everything you love.”  He slammed the door as he left, startling David and making the baby wail.

Oh, how Maia wished... that she had wished differently.



Author's Note-Inspiration from the last two stanzas of Robert Burns' poem, To A Mouse

But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
          Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
          For promis’d joy!

Still, thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e’e,
          On prospects drear!
An’ forward tho’ I canna see,
          I guess an’ fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! <3