Friday, June 20, 2014

5 - The Deal

“Where is Charlie Ray? And Madeline and Finnegan?” Maia asked the reaper.

“In the afterlife, where all living beings go when they die. Now it is your turn.  Come with me.”

“But I can’t be dead!” Maia exclaimed. “There is so much I haven’t done yet. I haven’t become a famous magician.  I haven’t even had a real marriage or a big family like I’ve always dreamed. I haven’t even known love.”

“What do you mean you haven’t had fame or love?” the reaper asked.  “Your fans adore you.  Even though you perform only simple tricks and I have true magical powers, they throw bouquets at you, never at me.”

The reaper was jealous of the adoration her fans had for Maia?  Jealous of the flowers they threw at her? It gave Maia an idea, but it was a long shot.

“I understand you have a difficult job to do,“ Maia told him. “And you’re right.  Maybe I have known love, even if it wasn’t the kind I was hoping for.  But I still want to have a chance to become a mother, and have a family of my own. Would you accept this flower from me in exchange for giving me another opportunity at life?” Maia held out a deathflower.




The reaper was silent as he pondered Maia’s offer. Then he asked her, “How many children were you planning on?”

“Well, I guess I always wanted six or so, but if I could only have one or two I would be happy, so long as I lived long enough to take care of them.“ Maia said.

The reaper tilted his head, considering.  “What would you think of having even more?”

“More?”

“More children and more years to live and raise them.”

“Oh, yes!” Maia agreed. “Yes to both!”

“Then this is the deal, Maia, “ the Grim Reaper said, taking the flower from her hand. “I will bring you back and grant you an epic lifetime in order to give birth to and raise one hundred children. You will begin your task immediately.” He pounded the end of his scythe on the floor three times.

“Wha... a hundred?” Maia exclaimed. “That can’t be right. I can’t possibly have one hundred children. And certainly not immediately.  My husband is dead, and I don’t know anyone whom I can start dating right now, much less have any babies with!”

“That is the deal.  Do you accept my terms, or do you come with me now and leave mortal life behind you?”

Maia hesitated, but she already knew what the answer must be.  “I...  I accept.”

The Grim Reaper raised his arms, levitating Maia’s ghostly form as he raised her from the dead. 



So this is how levitation works, thought Maia.  This would be a great act to add to my magic show routine.

And in an instant, Maia was alive once more.

“But who will I get to be the father of my first child?” she asked.

“Don’t worry,“ the reaper said.  “I want you to succeed, and I’ll send you help when you need it. I’m even going to help you out with that little daddy detail. But right now, I really need to get home and get this flower in some water.”




The Grim Reaper disappeared in a puff of shadowed fog.

Maia came to on the kitchen floor.  She stood up, feeling perfectly fine.

“It’s amazing that you survived the blaze,” one of the firefighters told her.




Maia was puzzled.  Had she really died and came back?  Or had she survived the fire after all?

She decided it didn’t matter.  Maia had a new lease on life, and she wasn’t going to waste time wondering.

But she was certain about one thing. She didn’t want a reaper having a say in who was going to be the father of her children. So very soon, Maia was going to start looking for herself, just in case.

But for now, she needed to rest.  Tomorrow was going to be a busy day with the funeral, and the settling of her deceased husband’s estate.

Maia fell asleep quickly. But throughout the night, she dreamed of the Grim Reaper.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! <3