Sunday, August 24, 2014

50 - When Fur Flies


 Hamilton knew the exact moment the spell was broken.  One minute he was pacing in Lady Tessa’s foyer, trapped in his were-form, and the next his fur flew around him as he found himself transformed back into his human shape.


 Tentatively, he felt for his inner wolf.  The wolf aspect of his nature was still there, ready to come charging out, but he was master of it once again.   It was then Hamilton also realized that he no longer felt that vague feeling of otherness in his head that marked the presence of Lady Tessa’s vampiric mind control.

He didn’t know whom he had to thank for his release, but he had a strong sense that, whatever had happened, it wasn’t due to Tessa’s benevolence. And that made him think of Maia and what Tessa had planned to do. Hamilton realized that even if Tessa had been destroyed and he could no longer seek his revenge on her himself, he had to ensure that Maia and her children were truly safe now. And despite the fact that he’d been under Tessa’s control, he had put Maia and her challenge at risk. It was time for atonement, even if she could never forgive him. She deserved the truth, and she deserved to hear it from him.







Maia was in the nursery when the doorbell rang.


 She wondered if it might be the vampire brothers coming to check on her, or even Wulfric coming to visit his newborn twins. But she had learned her lesson and wouldn’t be inviting anyone into her home again unless she was certain about who it was first.

To her immense surprise, it was Hamilton. Though they hadn’t parted on civil terms, Maia couldn’t help but wonder if he had changed.  She noticed he was no longer in his werewolf form, so he definitely had changed on the outside. And there was only one way to find out of his transformation had gone deeper than the surface.


 Maia let him in.

“Are you and the kids okay? And what happened to Tessa?” Hamilton asked immediately.


 “We’re all fine,” Maia answered. “And Tessa is dead; I used alchemy to turn her into a gold statue. But how did you find out about her coming here? Did Braeden or Alexander tell you?”


 “Actually, I was the one who told them,” Hamilton began. “It’s a long story, and you might want to sit down for it.”

Maia and Hamilton went upstairs and sat on the sofa. Hamilton did his best to explain everything.


 He recounted how he had begun going on covert missions for Lady Delling right around the time Maia met her sisters, looking for what he thought at first was her missing vampire relative, only to later find out that she wanted him to steal a vampire child for her. After his discovery of the truth and subsequent confrontation of her, he’d been forced under Tessa’s vampiric mind control and cursed to be trapped in his werewolf form until the time he successfully completed the task she’d set him. He told Maia about how his werewolf nature had made him feel increasingly possessive of her, and that was why, when he tried warning her about getting involved with the Delling family on the night he’d discovered her with Braeden, that he’d overreacted, to his deep regret.


 Hamilton stood up and began to pace. “After that, I spent years seeking a vampire heir for Tessa, believing that was the only way to win my freedom—and you— back. In the state I was in, it was the only future I could imagine, and I never dreamed that I would someday be telling Tessa that it was you who had given birth to the vampire child she wanted me to steal for her.” Hamilton looked away in shame.


 “But I did,” he choked out. “Instead of protecting you, I told her everything. I was the one who betrayed you, Maia! After I told Tessa about your vampire children and she left to come get them herself, I swore I’d fix everything, no matter the cost, but that’s when the Delling brothers showed up and I told them what had happened, hoping that they could save you from the events I set in motion, even if I couldn’t. It wasn’t long afterwards when I felt the spell break, which must have coincided with Tessa’s death. And even if you never forgive me for the danger I put you in, I had to make sure you and the kids were alright, and to tell you what happened. I’m so sorry; this whole mess was my fault.  When I think of everything I put you through...”

“Hamilton, stop,” Maia interrupted. “I can only imagine what you went through having that evil woman in your mind for years and having your wolf take control of you, but none of this was your fault! It’s Lady Tessa who was to blame for all of it, but I saw to it that she can never hurt me, my children or even you ever again. It’s over, right?  Let it stay over. Forgive yourself, like I have already forgiven you.”


 “But how can I?  How can you?  I can never take back what I’ve done! I’ve brought so much pain to everyone!”


 “It’s called survival, Hamilton,” Maia said gently. “Look. There are individuals in this world who will seek to help or harm you, and the rest of the population is made up of those who will help or harm you in the course of living their own lives without intending to do either one.  I know you never intended to harm me, and it was Tessa’s machinations that put us on opposing sides, but only for a time. Think back to when you weren’t under her control—you did everything you could think of to help me.  You kept my challenge a safe secret, you went out of your way to reintroduce my sisters into my life, and you brought me pictures of my great–grandchildren that I never would’ve known about otherwise... those are all positive things, done by a good and generous man! That’s why I can forgive you, because I know who you really are. And here you stand now, wanting to make amends and trying to find your way back to the selfless person you have been since the day I’ve known you.  That’s what matters most, and it’s the reason why you should forgive yourself as well.”


 “But what about our twins? I’ve missed so much of their lives; so much time I can never get back...”

“You’re right; you can’t get that time back.  But all is not lost! Instead of looking back, you can move forward. While the past is important, you can’t change it, so don’t let it hold you back.  It is in the present moment where you can start making things better, and you are here now. I know you’re anxious, but I believe in you. It’s time for you to begin believing in yourself again, too. It’s not too late; you can still get to know Bas and Belle.”


 “I want to! I just... I don’t know where to start...”


 Maia smiled. “Start in the backyard; that’s where Sebastian is.”


 Hamilton went into the backyard, and indeed, there was Sebastian, practicing his hunting skills.


 Hamilton watched the teen with pride. He was already a fine hunter. “Good form, son,” he called out.

“Dad?  You’re back!” Bas bounded towards Hamilton.  “And thanks! Wulfric is a great teacher.”


 “Wulfric?”

“He’s the guy Mom asked to train me since you had to be away on your secret missions. He was the best werewolf hunter in the NRAAS contest! And he had two pups with Mom. When Logan and Skye grow up, they’re going to join our pack.” Sebastian shuffled his feet.  “Do you want to be in it, too?” He asked hopefully. “You’ll have to pass an initiation first, though.”  Bas grinned.

“Absolutely!  What do I need to do?”

“Well, first you have to show off your fangs! Bet they aren’t as good as mine!” And Sebastian showed off what great teeth he had.


 “Those are some pretty powerful looking fangs!  But check out mine!” Hamilton said as he changed into his werewolf form and then showed Bas his own teeth.


 “Wicked! Okay, so now you have to fight me!” Bas growled. “Rawr!”


 Dust and fur flew as father and son mock-battled for the first time.






 “Wow!  You’re good; maybe even better than Wulfric!” Sebastian’s eyes glowed with admiration. “The MoonClaw Pack is honored to have you as a member! And.... I’m really glad you’re back, Dad.”


 Just then, Wulfric showed up.  “You have a fine son there, Hamilton. It’s been my honor to train him till you could return. And welcome to MoonClaw!”


 “Wulfric!  Are you going to practice with us?” asked Sebastian.

“I’m here to get to know the pups right now, but we’ll all train together soon, most definitely!”


 Wulfric headed inside the house as Isabelle came running out.


 “Daddy!” she yelled, and threw herself into her father’s arms.


 “I missed you! But Whisper said you’d be back in time for our birthdays, and I’m so glad you are!”

Hamilton looked down fondly at the daughter who resembled him so greatly, even though she wasn’t a werewolf. “I’ve missed you, too. And who is Whisper?”


 “She’s my IF, and she’s going to be a fortuneteller!  She said you’d be back, and that you’d join MoonClaw, and after all of us aged up we’d move in together.”

“It would make me very happy to live with all of you,” Hamilton said and smiled, “but are you sure you want to live with a pack of growly, fur-shedding werewolves?”


 “Oh, yes! By living with so many werewolves hunting collectibles, I’ll never run out of the ingredients needed for my elixirs!” Belle enthused.

While the reunited Lupinus family chattered outside, Wulfric was in the nursery bonding with his new babies.




 And Maia finally got the opportunity to finish toddler training with the quads.
















 Christopher also began to show signs of his witch abilities.


 And while the other toddlers played with their IF’s, their vampire natures became apparent.


 Afterwards, it was time to celebrate birthdays for all the teens.

Happy birthday, Sebastian!




 Happy birthday, Isabelle!




 Happy birthday, Scribbles!




 Happy birthday, Whisper!




 The next day was graduation, and the extended family of all Maia’s children came together to celebrate with them. Whisper was named valedictorian, and all of them graduated with highest honors.


 Sebastian was a determined hunter and became a self-employed collector, while his twin Isabelle became an alchemist.  Scribbles decided to become a blog artist and also volunteered to keep track of the inventory for the Moonlight Falls alchemist club, and Whisper was hired as a fortuneteller.


 It was time for them to move out, and Maia hugged them goodbye.  As always, it was hard to see her children go, but she knew they’d all be safe and do well living with Hamilton and Wulfric.

A few days later, it was time for the fairy triplets to age up.

Happy birthday Aylin!




 Happy birthday Alaric!




 Happy birthday Arielle!




 Aylin shared some gossip and evil fairy plots with Daddy Parker.


 Alaric played a fairy prank on Arianne.


 “Grandma, check out that ginormous thought bubble over your head!”


 ZAP!


 AAARRGGH!


 “Kid, I have a headache with your name on it!”

In the meantime, Arielle simply entertained herself.


 Later, the triplets made their IF’s Hesper, Jasper and Vesper real.












 Early the next week, the quads became children.

Happy birthday Blake!




 Happy birthday Bronwyn!




 Happy birthday Corbin!




 Happy birthday Christopher!




 And finally, the Logan and Skye aged into toddlers.




 The werewolf twins simultaneously howled at the moon.


 And it was then Maia realized that the night of the full moon had come around again...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! <3