Wednesday, August 20, 2014

44 - The Fairy Ring


Maia had seen in the past how quickly vampires could move, and knew she needed as much of a head start as she could get if she were to escape Alexander. She wasn’t exactly sure what had happened, but she wanted as much distance between them as she could get.



After looking back a few times and not seeing any signs of pursuit, Maia stopped running to catch a breath. 



But after looking around, she realized she was in a place she had never seen before. 



The misty, forested landscape was serene and magical in appearance, although Maia couldn’t help but feel overcome by a sense of foreboding. But perhaps it was only that she was still anxious about her odd encounter with Alexander.

While looking around and trying to figure out where she was, Maia thought she heard a most lovely melody emanating from just a bit further on, so she decided to seek out the source of the music.



The music seemed to be coming from some shimmering pink orbs near an old tree, so Maia stepped closer to investigate.



Suddenly, Maia found herself surrounded by fairies. She had walked into a fairy ring!

“Dance with us,” the fairies urged her. 



“I really need to get home...” she said, but the music was enchantingly powerful and Maia found herself moving to the music despite her will.







Maia danced with the fairies round and round as the music became wilder, being spun from partner to partner.

“Please,” she begged, “I need to go home!”



But still the music played on and on.

“Dance with us,” the fairies compelled.  “Dance with us forever!”



Maia was terrified.  They weren’t going to let her go!  And her body would not stop dancing.

As the music evolved into a more tranquil tune, she was spun into the arms of another fairy, and beneath his captivating gaze, Maia felt her resolve crumbling.



“Welcome to our circle,” the fairy murmured as they began to slow dance, surrounded by the rest of the fairies.



“Thank you,” Maia said as the male fairy's glamoury overtook her.  As they swayed beneath the stars, Maia found herself becoming lost in the eyes of this unknown fairy.  She knew she never wanted to leave his arms, and she began to forget that she had ever been anywhere else.







Maia's mind wandered as if in a dream. She could see herself with this man forever, she thought, as she looked upon him with wonder. She saw a lifetime of dancing and romancing and oh!  Together they would make the loveliest children... her children......



“My children!” Maia abruptly exclaimed, pulling away from him. “I have to get back to my children and my 100 baby challenge!”

The music suddenly ended and all the fairies surrounding them stopped dancing and stared, and Maia felt the magical enchantment on her break.



“You’re doing a 100 baby challenge?” the stunned male fairy exclaimed.

“Yes, and I have to get back to them. Please!  You must let me go so I can protect the Grim Reaper from final death and save the world from destruction!”



“No one is ever supposed to leave a fairy circle once they enter it,” the fairy explained. “But since you are a challenge mother as well as belonging to the Reaper, I must bend to a higher power.”

“Then you’ll release me?”



“It appears I have no choice,” he said unhappily. “Besides, I have a great deal of respect for baby challenge parents; I am one of the many children of the fey Arianne Rhea.  She is also a 100 baby challenge mother, and she would kick my butt if she thought I was interfering with another mother’s sacred duty!”

Maia sighed gratefully. “Thank you... uhh.....?”

“Parker,” the fairy said. “My name is Parker Rhea.”

“And I’m Maia Lee.  So... can we go now?”

“Yes, and we must leave before dawn, or else you will be trapped here and no power I know of will free you.  Now, take my hand and I will lead you through the boundary and away from this circle.”



Once they were through the boundary, Maia looked around.  It was much later than she had thought, and she imagined time passed much more slowly in the realm of fey than in her own world. But she was relieved to be back.

“As much as I was looking forward to sharing eternity with you, Maia, I feel ashamed for what almost happened,” Parker told her.  “I’d like to make it up to you, if you’ll let me.”

“Parker, I know you didn’t mean for this to happen.  It’s alright.”

“No, it isn’t,” he said remorsefully, “so just hear me out.  Since I nearly ended your challenge with my ignorance of your destiny, would you permit me to assist you in furthering you along your path?”



Maia peeked shyly at Parker, unable to speak.  The way he was staring at her made her feel the magic stirring around the two of them once again, though not the same undeniable compulsion she’d felt while dancing with him before in the fairy ring.  This would be her choice, and her choice was yes.



There were no words, but none were needed. 



And when the sun finally rose, Maia was blissfully unaware of it.



But there were others who felt the sting of the new day much more keenly.



“Well, at least now we know where she ended up and that’s she’s safe,” Alexander told his brother.



“I still can’t believe you tried to hypnotize her,” Braeden berated him. “What were you thinking?”



“I wasn’t,” Alex admitted.  “I was just so confused and frustrated… do you suppose she’ll ever forgive me?”



“I guess anything is possible, but I don’t know if you’ll ever convince her to have a child by you now.”



“I know.  But she’s our only hope, so I’m going to have to think of a way,” Alexander said. 



“Shh!  She’s coming this way!”

Both vampires were silent as Maia passed by, oblivious of their presence.



After she left, the brothers exchanged a glance.

“Did you hear that, Brae?” whispered Alexander. “There was more than one heart beating in her body!”



“I noticed,” Braeden answered. “It seems you have about nine months to fix things with Maia and try again, little brother.”



“So long to wait, and yet not long enough for such a task,” Alexander sighed. “Got any brotherly advice for me?”



“Sure,” Braeden said as he laughed. “How about you don’t wear your rock star getup the next time you talk to her?  ‘Cuz you look kinda nuts! Bahaha!”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! <3