Tuesday, March 31, 2015

83 - The Beginning of the End

Time passed swiftly, and Maia’s twin toddlers were ready to age into children.

Happy birthday Celeste!



Happy birthday Avalon!



Baby Gavin aged up too, and Maia taught her son his toddler skills.





While Gavin played with his IF Tumble, the rest of the family celebrated the teens’ birthdays.


Happy birthday Piper!



Happy birthday Seashell!



Happy birthday Beck!



Happy birthday Storm!



And then it was time for their graduation.  All the kids received highest honors and Piper was chosen to be class valedictorian.


The adult kids all planned to open up their own specialty shops.  Piper would sell rodents and other small exotic pets, while Seashell intended to offer the shells that she found while scuba diving or that washed up on the beaches as vacation souvenirs.  Beck would sell his spare rocks and the gems which Storm cut and polished to gleaming perfection. Maia hugged them all goodbye, and then her young entrepreneurs were off to begin their new lives.


Later that night, after the older kids had moved out, Diana brought Maia another snake she had found.


After being praised as usual, Diana ran back and returned shortly with another snake.


And another.


Had the cat located a snake den near her home?  Maia began to be concerned.  She certainly didn’t want an infestation on her hands and she was worried what might happen if one of the children stumbled across them all, so the next time Diana took off, Maia grabbed a fireplace poker to use as a snake hook—or a bludgeoning weapon, if necessary—and followed her in order to investigate.


She trailed Diana to the Sunwest Graveyard, where the cat immediately went back to stalking more snakes.



Suddenly, there was a flash of power, and standing in the epicenter was a demonic-looking woman who appeared to be a mix of alien and genie.


“Enjoying my little friends, witch?” she asked, as she gestured at the snakes that surrounded Diana.


Maia didn’t remember ever meeting the woman herself, but she realized who it must be—the Serpent Mistress, Kadru!


Immediately, Maia flung a freezing spell at the Iblisan, but Kadru only laughed.


“Your feeble witch magic can’t harm me!  Still, I must admire your boldness, and your skills have improved since we last met. Defeating my djinn and using them as fathers for your baby challenge was also rather ingenious.  You've proven yourself quite the brood mare as well, and somehow were able to survive giving birth to the children of soulless undead—unlike any other woman of this world.  You could have been incredibly useful to me... But I’ve had enough of you meddling with my plans. The final line of the prophecy must be fulfilled!”

Maia’s mind flashed back to the words of the prophecy from the old book she had read while visiting her parents in Shang Simla.


“I will complete the 100 Baby Challenge, and the zombies of the underworld will never be released here!”  Maia shouted.


“Ah, defiant to the end; you were like that in your past life too... But you can’t accomplish your task if you’re dead!”


Faster than Maia could react, Kadru had cast a more powerful ice blast spell than Maia had. 


 Maia was frozen in place!



Trapped in her now immobile body, Maia was still aware of her surroundings, but was unable to do much more than listen to Kadru’s triumphant laughter.  Her mind raced in panic as she realized she was completely helpless.

“How does it feel to know you’ve failed this world?”  Kadru asked mockingly. “How does it feel to know you’re going to die very soon and have your soul placed in a star where you’ll burn in torment once again?”

Maia thought in alarm, how does she know about the star??

“Oh, how I wish you could speak!” Kadru taunted. “Unfortunate side-effect of being encased in ice, I’m afraid. But I can’t have you attempting escape again; I have searched for you for long enough!  And I suppose you’re wondering how I know as much as I do.  It’s obvious really.  I was the one who cast your soul into the deep emptiness of space for safekeeping so long ago... out where Samael could see you but never reach!


“He promised to do anything to get you back, you know,” Kadru continued, “so I simply had to make a bargain with him.  That’s where that little ‘prophecy’ I devised came in. Of course, as long as I keep you from completely fulfilling your task and breaking my curse, I’ll get everything I want.


“Pity you defy me now as you did then; taking over this world would’ve been so much easier had you cooperated with my plans.  But those who don’t learn from their history are doomed to repeat it, and falling stars do entertain me so!”


With that, Kadru’s fingertips glowed with flame as she focused her mental energies as one would do in a great summoning. She then staggered back from Maia as if she had expended a great deal of power.



Maia was left standing there, frozen, as she heard the terrifying whistle of something shooting towards her from the sky. 



She thought of the task she would never complete and the soulmate she would never meet. Maia’s life began to flash before her eyes—the trials she had faced, her moments of triumph, memories of all her children.  And then her mind went even further back, and she began to see images of her past life from long ago; back to when it had all started...

22 comments:

  1. NO! How could you split this into 3 chapters and then have the AUDACITY to leave it on a cliffhanger like this!?!?!? HOW COULD YOU, STAR?!? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I hadn’t intended to split it originally, but after writing it I felt 5000+ words and all the necessary screenshots was going to be too much for one post. Plus, everyone would’ve had to wait a LOT longer for me to publish it as a single installment with all that is involved. As for the way this one ended, it was the best natural break of the action. Besides, cliffhangers are awesome and I missed doing them! xD

      Delete
  2. Uh oh Kitty got surrounded by snakes.... and there's Kadru...Yay...and there goes Maia being frozen..... and here comes a shooting star -_- could any thing else go wrong in this chapter for poor Maia?.....yea probably......

    This was such a awesome chapter star!.....except for the cliff hanger.....now i'm gonna be dying with suspense for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the bad things just seem to be piling up for Maia! And it is going to get worse... D:

      Thank you! And lol, but don’t die! Especially since there are going to be more cliffhangers coming! O_O

      Delete
  3. lol i'll try not to die on you star but if you keep giving us these dang cliff hangers i think i just might! yea sure their full of suspence but still....i guess i'll just have to patiently wait for the next chapter *plops down of the ground with some pillows blankets popcorn and a bunch of movies*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, don’t worry. I hear cliffhangers are actually good for your health; they’re like cardio or something. ;P

      *plops down next to you and stealz ur popcorn* So... what are we watching? :3

      Delete
    2. D: nooo mer popcorn! oh well.... *goes and gets some oreos* ;P

      Delete
    3. Oreos? Hmm.

      (҂⌣̀_⌣́) HMMM.

      I think I need those... for... the next chapter. Yeah. Oreos are crucial to its completion.

      O<(’_’<)

      *noms*

      ε=ε=ε=ε=┏( >_<)┛

      Delete
    4. Oh... you THINK you need those oreos... for... the next chapter? they're crucial to its completion!? why.... will a giant oreo fall from the sky and smush Kadru and end up saving Maia? well... if so i guess... i can spare a box.... *hands you over a box of oreos*

      Delete
    5. Uhh....... sure? I mean, yeah! Death by falling Oreo is how I intend for Kadru to die. She drops meteors on peeps, so she’s gonna get dunked by a giant cookie... totally legit! Gonna need a whole lot of Oreos to work with for multiple screenshot takes though, so thanks for the box! xD

      But, of course, I do reserve the right to change my mind if I think of a better way to deal with the situation, in which case the Oreos will sustain me throughout my work on the upcoming chapters... *hugs precious Oreos*

      Delete
  4. What?!?!? You can't end it there!!!! You CAN'T!

    ... You did. Well, I suppose I have to live with it then.

    Anywayz, before I was so rudely sidetracked by ZE CLIFFHANGER OF DOOM! I was going to mention how cute Gavin is as a toddler and how beautiful the twins Avalon and Celeste are growing up to be. I do declare Piper and Beck's looks to be smash hits as well, and I wish them and their IFs all the best in their future endeavors!

    Now where was I? Oh yes. HOLY REAPING PLUM IT'S MISTRESS KADRU!!!! EEEEEEPPP!!!!!

    Oh nos! Diana do something! OMIGOSH PLZ NO! I thought Maia was on the safe list! I thought this was a given!!!! Wait... is Maia about to remember her past? Are we finally gonna learn the missing part of the dream?

    Oohhh, I will wait with eager anticipation for installment #84!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was going to say... too late now! :P

      LOL @ ze cliffhanger of doom! xD I think the kiddies are growing up quite cute too. :)

      Holy reaping plum indeed! But Kadru has been waiting in the wings for so long she was bound to return front and center stage with a vengeance! O_O

      Well, Maia DOES technically have to be on the safe list because without her there is no BC, but there will still be close calls for her along the way. And you guessed correctly—I’m using the ‘life flashing before your eyes’ expression to lead into Maia’s memories of her past life. So yep, the next chapter will contain the pieces of what she has already remembered from her recurring dream combined with new revelations of what happened back then. Fun stuff! :D

      Delete
    2. Squee! We get to learn all about Maia's past life now! I'm so super duper excited for this part! And scared for Diana and whoever else may happen upon this horrible scene but at least Maia is back on the safe list (whew!).

      Safe List: Maia and A.C.E. Heh.

      Oh, and Mistress Kadru. I'm assuming she's safe. Though I don't at all want her to be. =(

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I’m having fun getting screenshots for this next one! The circumstances surrounding the past are going to have an enormous impact on what happens in the future. And there definitely are some surprises in store! >:)

      Not much of s safe list, huh? >.<

      Well, Kadru is pretty powerful, and it would take an awful lot to defeat her... I do understand the sentiment though!

      Delete
    4. I love surprises!!!! Errrm.... sometimes. Depends on the surprise. 0.0

      Nope. But I knew it was a short list.

      I hope by baby #100 we can see an end to her reign of terror!

      Delete
    5. Well, they’re not pleasant surprises for Maia... >.> Fun for me to play though! >:D

      It is. And in the next couple chapters, you’ll find out why that has to be...

      I would love for Maia to have a happy ending—but then I keep thinking of more evil stuff to do to her, lol. But I do plan for Kadru to meet her doom, although the price will ultimately be very costly...

      Delete
    6. Oh dear.... poor Maia.

      And... oh dear again. Shall I fetch my handkerchief and find a cuddly animal to comfort me? Gah, you're driving me insane.

      ... is the next chapter ready yet?

      High cost! *shudder* Once again, you're driving me insane. Are you done with the serial cliffhanger chain yet? I MUST KNOW!!!!

      Delete
    7. I know! I’m pretty sure Maia hates me! >.<

      I apologize for the road trip to insanity, lol. As far as hankies and cuddly animals being necessary—not for #84, although there are some terrible (but revealing) circumstances that take place there. You might want some additional comfort when #85 is posted though. :(

      Almost! I don’t have or know how to use PS, but PicMonkey is free and has some interesting functions I’ve tried playing around with more this time, like overlays and importing textures. I’m hoping my screenshots don’t look overly amateurish with what I’ve done to them, but for a first try I think they turned out fairly decent.

      Yes, a very high cost; you will see when we get there! O_O But nope, the cliffhanger chain will be ongoing for a bit yet. There is so much to reveal with the backstory involving Maia’s past life, as well as what is happening in the present and the effects everything will have on the future... Events are converging to the point that one thing gets resolved only for something else to come up, so they’re kind of inevitable right now. I hope they entertain you anyway, even if they make you kinda cray-cray!

      Delete
    8. I'll say! 0.0

      Having now read #84, I can say that hanky and cuddly animal were not necessary, but I shall keep them on hand for the next update! You hear that cat? Don't move! =D

      I think all your screenshots came out looking very awesome! Not amateurish at all!

      Oddly enough, I find myself looking forward to this serial cliffhanger chain of doom. Especially if it means we get to see more backstory and what all is happening in the present with Maia. =D

      Delete
    9. D: Lol.

      Yeah, #84 was more A) revelatory and B) dramatic rather than C) sad, especially knowing the events happened in the distant past, but #85 will probably be D) all off the above... A kitty to cuddle is always nice though. :)

      Aw, thanks! I’m fairly happy with most of the pix; I’d just prefer some of the others to be a little better. ;) Ah well, I know I did the best I could with what I had, so I’m satisfied... mostly. :P

      Serial cliffhanger chain of doom—I like the sound of that! xD And absolutely—more backstory explanations will follow after a return to Maia in the present! I’m glad you’re looking forward to what I have plotted!

      Delete
    10. It is always nice to have a kitty to cuddle. =D Especially when things get to be D, all of the above. 0.0

      You get even better with more pictures and more practice! =D But I really do think they all looked great, even if you're only "mostly" satisfied.

      Yay! Bring on the serial cliffhanger of dooooom! =D

      Delete
    11. Kitty cuddling is good no matter what. :) But especially so for #85. :/

      I can definitely see improvement when I look back at the pix in the older chapters, so maybe as I get even further in I will notice the same thing about the screenshots I’m doing now. Granted, it kind of makes me want to do over the older pix, lol, but seeing the documented progression is good too.

      Dooooom is a’comin’! O_O

      Delete

Thanks for reading! <3