Thursday, March 12, 2015

82 - The Snake Pit

Maia’s time-traveling journey had been very eventful for a number of reasons.  She had seen the past with her own eyes, and now knew her dream wasn’t just a fantasy—it had truly happened!   And despite her unanswered questions, she was secure in the knowledge of Sam’s love for her, even in his absence.  Maia still wished she could be with her soulmate now, but she no longer felt the desperate urgency to find him immediately that she once had.  Although she vowed to never forget about him and she was hopeful that their paths would cross again someday soon, Maia was willing to wait for that epic kind of love to come in its own time.  The change in perspective alone calmed her.

Meanwhile, she had her own challenge to continue.  And that was another reason Nathaniel and his time machine had been significant; Maia had confirmed her latest pregnancy.


Not long afterwards, both sets of her twins were ready to age up. 

Happy birthday Piper!



Happy birthday Beck!



Piper and Beck brought their IFs Seashell and Storm to life.





And then twin babies Celeste and Avalon became toddlers.



It was also time for Maia’s twelve teens to attend their prom. Eden was crowned Prom Queen and Beck was voted Prom King.


While the teens were enjoying themselves at prom, Maia had planned on beginning the twins’ toddler training, but she went into labor instead.


She got her toddler daughters busy bonding with their IFs Sugar and Spice.


And then Maia gave birth to a son.

Welcome Gavin!


In the weeks that followed, Maia taught Piper, Beck, Seashell and Storm to drive, and while the teens were in school she taught Celeste and Avalon their toddler skills. 











Time passed, and the quads and their IFs were ready for their birthdays and graduations.

Happy birthday Dax!



Happy birthday Drifter!



Happy birthday Jude!



Happy birthday Rail!



Happy birthday Indie!



Happy birthday Summer!



Happy birthday Eden!



Happy birthday Breeze!



All of them graduated with highest honors and Drifter was named class valedictorian.


Dax and Drifter planned to buy houseboats and live as sailors and fishermen.  Jude wanted to continue collecting insects for scientific study (and eating!), while Rail planned to moonlight as a mixologist until he’d saved up enough to open his own bar.  Indie’s future lay in her talents as a guitarist.  Summer was looking forward to a career as a soccer player.  Eden was going to be a gardener and Breeze wanted to perform as a singer.


Maia wished them all the best and hugged them goodbye. She didn’t have the sense of foreboding when they parted that she’d experienced when Shane and Lucien moved out; or again when Quinn, Rhys and Sierra had left to begin their adult lives.  Perhaps she was simply better at letting go now, or maybe her skill as a fortuneteller had improved to the point that she didn’t foresee dangers lurking where they likely did not exist.

But being able to predict the future didn’t mean life was free of surprises, because shortly after the quads moved out, there was an unexpected birthday. 

Diana had aged into an elder cat.


While she did tire more easily now, Diana’s age certainly didn’t stop her from hunting, and she continued to bring home trophy catches for Maia, for which she was always praised.


But what Maia couldn’t figure out was—why did Diana only bring her snakes?








“Apologies for disturbing you, Mother, but you need to see who is here looking for an audition as a singer!”


Kadru Demoriel was annoyed at being interrupted during her trance, and glared at her groveling son in disapproval.  She left the daily running of her warehouse dive bar and live show venue, The Snake Pit, to her hired staff.  She had been forced to flee the ruins in the Al Simharan desert many years ago, but this particular bar was located in a similarly comfortable climate for Kadru to base her operations in—the desert town of Lucky Palms. But the bar was only a convenient front, and Baal knew better than to bother her with such trivialities. 


Still, it could be important, and her son had proven inept in the past, ruining many of her dark and lovely plots.  The boy was weak, like his father, and even less useful to her.  Kadru left her private office and followed Baal to the barroom, thinking how true it was that if you wanted something done right you must see to it yourself!

But the group she saw assembled at her bar stopped her dead in her tracks. “Do you see the resemblance?” Baal asked eagerly.


As if it wasn’t obvious!  Kadru would have to be blind not to recognize the similarities between the cluster of individuals at the bar and the missing Valafar and Adramelech.  But she also saw in their features something that she was certain that Baal did not—their resemblance to her former prisoner, Maia Lee!


Although she did not show it, Kadru was enraged at the audacity of the witch woman. Not only had she obviously neutralized Adramelech and Valafar, which would explain why Kadru had lost contact with them years ago, but she had further mocked Kadru by using them to father children for her baby challenge! It was an insult not to be borne!

Baal interrupted her thoughts. “I will take them prisoner! They’ll surely reveal the whereabouts of your missing djinn after a bit of torture!” His eyes gleamed with greedy excitement.
 

Although she found the idea of such revenge tempting, Kadru instead said coldly, “After the mess at Area-52 you left me to sort out? I hardly think so!”


“But that wasn’t my fault!”  Baal whined.  “I was the one who told you about the merman the scientists discovered in the lake, and you agreed with my plans for him!”



“I only agreed after the lore you had researched indicated merfolk turn to sea foam after death because they are soulless.  Intelligent soulless creatures would’ve been useful to me as leaders of my hordes of undead when it comes time to take over this world. But you were wrong about the mermaids, Baal!”

“But I thought it was a good thing when we learned that they had souls for you to take, and I had full control of a cloning lab! The new direction of the experimentation was progressing well until the merman escaped and someone talked to the press!”



“Idiot child! The number of souls I can store for later use is still finite! And draining the souls of the merman clones would have only left me with more zombies—just like what happens with all of the other humanoid beings of this planet—and I have an underworld pit teeming with those already!  What I wanted were soulless beings capable of commanding my undead legions! And you lost control of that lab anyway, didn’t you?  As expensive as it was to minimize the consequences of your failure then, mismanagement of this opportunity would be far more costly!”


“So what are you going to do with them?  Just let them go?” Baal asked sulkily.

“Indeed. But you will instruct my staff to allow whichever of them wishes a job to audition and then hire them immediately—I may need them later for a secondary plan.  Now go!” She commanded.

Kadru left Baal to obey her simple orders and returned to her private rooms where she previously had been in deep meditation, communing with her snakes in the desert.  She could see through their eyes and gather information through their senses, which had earned her the title of the Serpent Mistress among the Iblisans. Snakes that possessed higher intelligence were utilized as supplementary guards to her mummies. They warned her of trespassers near her lair now as they did in Al Simhara, which was how Kadru had evaded capture there.

She surmised that if Maia’s offspring with the djinn were in Lucky Palms, the witch herself might also still be near.  Why then had none of her serpent spies ever caught sight of her and reported back?  But Kadru knew witches often kept familiars—especially felines. And she now recalled several instances during her trances when the snakes whose minds she had occupied had been stalked and killed by one particular cat, although at the time she hadn’t considered the possibility that it was the protective animal spirit of her quarry! 


For the Serpent Mistress, the solution was simple; she would release additional snakes into the desert after she had charmed more of them to do her bidding and had marked them with her dark kiss.



Eventually at least one of them should get a glimpse of Maia if she remained in Lucky Palms, and then Kadru would learn all she needed to know through their eyes. “You can’t eliminate them all, kitty!” Kadru chuckled to herself.


After releasing the snakes, Kadru went into her storage room where she kept the souls she had torn unwillingly from her victims, along with those that had been bartered to her in exchange for immortality. It was a great frustration to her that Baal’s father had never completed the creation of a vessel that could store them all while still allowing her instant accessibility; they took up far too much space separately for her to keep as many on hand as she would like, and she was required to leave most of them packed in their crates.


But store them she did, for when consumed, the souls enhanced her already extraordinary powers.

If you want something done right you must see to it yourself, Kadru thought again, and she fully intended to deal with the meddling witch herself, once the serpents had located the woman. And it would be wise to add to her already considerable power as she waited—now, while she still had the time to enjoy the experience fully. 


Kadru devoured her first soul of the night with fiendish pleasure.



It was... delicious.


24 comments:

  1. Hey Star i've began reading your challenge story three days ago and am already in love with it!! :D When do you think you'll put out the next chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anon—I’m glad to hear you've been enjoying my BC story!

      No idea when I’ll publish the next installment though. My updates are pretty irregular as I don’t have as much time to play as I’d like, so I just work on each chapter as time permits. But the next one is in progress! :)

      Delete
    2. Coolio! i'll keep my eye out for the next chapter i can't wait!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Besides publishing them here, I also post the new chapter links on my own Sims forum thread and also in the 100 BC Directory thread, just so you know. :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, i think i saw your story on a sims forum when i was mindlessly looking around the internet for a good story someone wrote that actually whent through with it! theres tons out there that peoples post and only get one or two chapters in then give up... i once found a story that was getting really good but the writer just stopped updating the story.... ): hope you dont give up on us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hard to find Sims stories that people actually finish, especially BC’s. Unfortunately, things often get corrupted or people move on, which can understandably make readers wary of getting into a story, only to see it abandoned before completion. I do intend to finish mine though; it would take something really drastic happening for me to stop updating entirely, even though it may take years to complete this, lol.

      Delete
  3. Well its good to know you'll keep this BC goin! i just love to read books and stories thou im terrible at making up my own xDD

    And Yeah it sucks when games get corrupted and you lose everything...luckily thou it never happened to me! thou once i kept having save errors..... ended up not being able to play without all my data resetting to the last save i had >.> was anoying so i ended up deleating the save file...does that count as my game getting corrupted? xDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to read as well, and I always have stories of some kind running through my head—actually taking the time to write them down is something else entirely, lol. But if I keep working on this a chapter at a time, eventually it will be finished! xD

      If you couldn’t progress the save anymore even after restarting, I’d say that counts as corruption! I have lost things myself in past years, but a better understanding of how the game works since then as well as certain mods to reduce any issues have pretty much eliminated that for me. I also keep additional backups of everything just in case, so even corruption of a save file won’t keep me from finishing this. :)

      Delete
    2. lol i've had a few stories goin through my head at one time too thou i never have the time to write them down *cough* i'm lazy *cough* xD

      Good thing to have backups i think i may start making some too xD thought never crossed my mind to have a backup and i don't use any mods or CC all i got is the basic sim game and pets expansion thou i'm hoping to eventually get paradise, generations, seasons, and maybe university and super natural now that i've read this story!

      Delete
    3. I like writing, I just lack the extra time. Well, okay—I am lazy sometimes too! xD

      I make multiple copies of everything because I’d really hate to lose my Sims and the houses I’ve built. CC I could do without if I had to (except maybe the hair, lol), but mods are a must for me, especially NRaas mods. Although now that the game is no longer being patched and mods don’t need updating, I have a lot more than I used to, haha.

      I have all EP’s and SP’s installed right now (except KPST, although I have it), and like them all for various reasons. The ones you mentioned are some of my faves, especially Supernatural and Generations. I do love IP for the mermaids and houseboats particularly, but even on a beast computer it can cause serious lag due to the horrid routing of that world. There are fixes available for that though, and running the ErrorTrap and Overwatch mods help too. I hope you’re able to pick up the ones you want most! :)

      Delete
  4. Awwww... Celeste and Avalon are the absolute cutest lil' things! Welcome Gavin! Aren't you cute?

    Reid's babies all turned out hunky and beautiful! I love Indie's look. She's gorgeous!

    Aw, Diana no! Don't grow old too fast! And errr... snakes? *getting apprehensive*

    Plum it, it's Mistress Kadru! I had been naively hoping we would not see you ever again, but seeing as how you're the primary villain behind this madness, I guess it was inevitable.

    Uh oh! Looks like 'Defeat means Fatherhood' might've backfired! Oh dear! Now I must fear for the Fu Manchu and all the jelly babies! Watch out! Someone's a sacrifice!

    Good reaper Kadru is creepy! Her room full of souls that she devours gives me chills! Eeep!

    Don't give up Diana! You can kill those pesky reptiles! You just got to! Oh no... now I wonder if Diana is the sacrifice! You wouldn't kill the cat, would you?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD I am way too attached to Maia’s adorable babies!

      I think Reid’s kids all turned out gorgeous too. I try not to have favorites, but I especially love Dax and Indie!

      Yeah, Diana is an elder now. :( And yep, all the presents she’s gifted Maia throughout have been snakes...

      Inevitable, yes. When there are so many snakes around the Serpent Mistress must be near! And those wicked Iblisans certainly have been wreaking havoc in LP over the years!

      Yep, the genie jellies are in potential danger, depending on the outcome of Kadru’s plans. But at the very least, ‘Defeat means Fatherhood means Discovery!’ O_O

      Evil and powerful, immortal and ambitious, and an eater of souls besides... Kadru is definitely one scary chick!

      Well, as I said previously, nobody is safe... and you’d be correct in guessing that could include even Diana. T_T

      Delete
    2. Attached enough to keep from killing one, maybe? Or is that too much to hope for?

      Dax. Mmm.... yes Dax. They do look great! HATE Reid. LOVE his babies. =D lol The pretty boy breeds pretty well.

      Gosh darn it, I was looking forward to more instances of "Defeat Means Fatherhood"! But if it's gonna lead to discovery then it might not be in Maia's best interest.

      Kadru is a great villain. I love to hate and be utterly creeped out by her. =D

      Noooooo, not Diana! You're making me want to grab both of my cats and dive under the bed! :'(

      Delete
    3. Possibly, lol. Unless there isn’t another alternative...

      LMAO! I LOVE Reid—as a villain. xD I don’t love him as a partner for Maia, but I did love the babies they had.

      Well, in this case it was Defeat Means Fatherhood Means Discovery—doesn’t have to always be the case though. I like variants in my tropes, haha.

      I think Kadru makes a great villain myself. As I reveal more about what occurred in Maia’s past life, you’ll likely hate her even more... O_O

      I know. :( But... alternatives.

      Delete
    4. You make me nervous when you use the word "alternative." 0.0

      lol yes, I love him as a villain as well. There are some villains that I "love" in the sense that I think they're awesome as villains. They're my favorite kinds of villains. =D

      Ooohhh! I look forward to hating her more! >.< I'm actually really interested in Kadru's past, it should be fun to learn!

      Gah! There's that word again! Alternatives! 0.0

      Delete
    5. Well... avoiding killing any children if I could has always been a priority for me, but it was still difficult to choose from the remaining options.

      Exactly! The villainiest villains are the best! xD

      Lol, the more evil things Kadru does, the more I love her as an antagonist! She’s pretty ruthless.

      I guess ‘alternative’ does have sort of an unsettling feel to it here, especially when you’re unsure of what may happen or dread what you suspect might be true...

      Delete
    6. ... it shouldn't be so difficult not to choose to kill a kid. 0.0

      All the villainiest villains are ruthless!

      Exactly. I feel the dread!

      Delete
    7. It’s difficult when you don’t have much in the way of other alternatives, but still want the outcome to evoke a meaningful sense of loss. I think I made the best choice I could though, given my options.

      I’d say Kadru fits the criteria!

      Yeah, dread upon dread—especially with the upcoming serial cliffhangers... O_O

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh that makes me nervous again. *covers eyes* This is gonna hurt...

    That she does!

    Serial cliffhangers?!?!? You evil wench! 0.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! There are going to be a lot of tough situations coming up for Maia, and the impending sacrificial death is just one of them. :/

      In the next chapter, you’ll get more details showing just how wicked Kadru really is! O_O

      Haha, IKR?! xD But I’ve avoided cliffhangers for Part 3 till now, and we have reached the climactic portion of the segment, so they go together very well! :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, Maia watch out! >.<

      Oh, I didn't need any more convincing! lol But it is intriguing to see just how deep the villainy runs!

      I know, I should be grateful there weren't more! lol I'm actually excited for the ending of Part 3! Sounds like it will be the best yet!

      Delete
    3. ... Although it’s difficult to watch out for things you don’t even see coming! >.<

      True! xD But I guess it wasn’t so much for the sake of convincing readers of her evilness as to drive home the point about just how scary and relentless Kadru is and the lengths to which she’ll go... the villainy does run very deep indeed!

      LOL! Also true! :P And Part 3 will certainly be the most dramatic of them all to date! I r excite too!

      Delete
  6. Uh so thats the snakes… and she might be the snake in the past.. or watching at that time… and Oh no Diana is old… we need new kitty
    And I’m sure Diana didn’t like Reid becouse who he is.. not that he is a wolf….

    Did I forget Kadru eats souls…. She do have a problem if she takes all souls though .. then no one will make babies… = no more souls for her

    Anettesb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that’s where all the snakes came from over the years—they were all Kadru’s little spies. And as you now know, that was indeed Kadru watching through the eyes of the snake by the campfire in Maia’s past life. And you’re right; Diana didn’t like Reid because of who he was, not because he was a werewolf. You’re pretty good at putting these things together! :)

      Nope, you didn’t forget; I’ve been holding back that information about Kadru taking and eating souls until it was pertinent. And yep, she might run out if she took and ate all the souls on this world, but Kadru is an alien capable of traveling to other universes as well... O_O

      Delete

Thanks for reading! <3