Saturday, February 7, 2015

79 - Paradise Lost

Although Reid had come back to her after their argument about the baby challenge, Maia was all too aware that things were not as they once had been.  Reid seldom spoke with her and they hadn’t been intimate since making up after their argument about Maia’s job. He even seemed to be distancing himself from their babies and Maia’s older boys, and stopped participating in family activities. And she didn’t know how to fix things between the two of them when any attempt she made to talk to her husband about their problems sent him into a towering rage and out the door yet again.


If it hadn’t been for her friends, Maia didn’t know what she would have done. But Joy and Isak came to visit often and were very supportive of her, and even her boss Shravan understood her need to resign from her job at Lucky Fortunes to focus on her family.



Maia hoped that sharing the news about her resignation might serve as a sort of peace offering between her and Reid and mollify him enough to get him to listen to her other ideas about how they could work things out, like the possibility of using anonymous donors for in vitro fertilization so she could complete her task.  And as soon as Chasin, Cruz, Rumble and Ramble had graduated and moved out, Maia planned to suggest that she, Reid and the quads move immediately to Isla Paradiso. Maybe it would be easier for Reid to get beyond their problems in his hometown where he no longer felt as though he was forced to sacrifice so much just to be with her. Maybe if they returned to the place where they’d met, they could start over again without the painful memories of recent times getting in the way. And maybe there they could find paradise together once again.

In the meantime, Dax, Jude, Indie and Eden aged up to toddlers.  Jude was a werewolf like his father.





Maia had looked forward to training the quadlers with Reid, but now the task was a constant daily reminder that their relationship was less than idyllic.  Still, Maia loved every moment she spent teaching them their skills, which was easier to do alone now that she was no longer employed.













She also enjoyed watching the four of them bond with their IFs Drifter, Rail, Summer and Breeze.


Before long, the twins and their IFs became young adults.

Happy birthday Chasin!



Happy birthday Rumble!



Happy birthday Cruz!



Happy birthday Ramble!



The four boys graduated with highest honors. Cruz was named class valedictorian.


Chasin and Rumble were planning to attend college business classes and then work for an automotive repair shop until they had enough capital built up to open their own shop someday, while Cruz and Ramble wanted to become underground club DJ’s and play at raves. Maia hugged them goodbye and then the four of them moved out to pursue their dreams.


Now that the older boys had moved out, Maia knew it was time to talk to Reid and tell him of her plans.  She went into the basement where she found him shooting a game of pool.


“Reid?”

“What?”

“Reid, can we talk?”

“Whatever; doesn’t matter,” he answered as he attempted his final shot. “Eight ball; corner pocket.”


“Reid, I quit my job!”

Reid threw his cue on the pool table. “Uh, congrats?  I really don’t give a damn.”

“But the boys are all moved out now, and we can move to Isla Paradiso—you, me and the quads—just like you wanted! I thought that would make you happy,” Maia said as her belly began to churn in anxiety as it had during their previous arguments.


“Do you really think that matters anymore? After this baby challenge bomb you dropped on me? I LOVED you!” Maia could see him struggling to control his inner wolf as his temper rose. “We’re done, Maia. I got a lawyer. And after the divorce is final, I’ll be moving back to the islands.  Alone.”


“You hired a divorce attorney?” Maia gasped.


“What other choice did I have?  Let my wife screw around behind my back? Not gonna happen!  And where did you think I was most of the time when I wasn’t here?  Off cheating? No, babe, that may be your gig, but it ain't mine,” he said harshly.


Maia felt ill to the point of vomiting.  “But I was going to tell you—I came up with an alternative idea!” she said desperately. “I could be inseminated by anonymous donors at a clinic. It shouldn't matter how my challenge children are conceived, just as long as there are different fathers for every pregnancy. I wouldn’t have to woohoo anyone else! We can still make our marriage work!”


“You know what?  The only good thing coming out of this marriage is that once it’s over, I’ll be a multimillionaire. Yeah, that’s right; I’m taking half of what you’re worth financially because that’s what you owe me after this bait and switch bullshit. And here’s a thought... if you can use donors, why haven’t you been doing that all along?  I’ll tell you why. You like your one nighters if your little fling with me in Isla Paradiso is any indication!”  Reid said viciously. “How many times have you done that with other men, Maia? How many other hearts and vows have you broken?”

And at that, knowing what Reid thought of her character, Maia did throw up.


And that’s when the thought occurred to her. Maia had believed it was just the anxiety from their frequent arguments that had made her feel ill so often recently, but... “Reid,” she said, her voice trembling, “I think I might be pregnant!”


“You cheating BITCH!” Reid roared, and the wolf in him surged to the forefront, transforming her husband into his werewolf aspect. It was terrifyingly abrupt, but what scared Maia the most was that although she knew she had never seen Reid in his werewolf form before, she was equally certain that somewhere... she had. And she was sure it was something she did not want to remember.


Maia couldn’t help but cower in terror as Reid snarled, “Couldn't even keep your legs closed until you were served divorce papers, could you?  Who the hell is the father? I’m going to tear him apart!”


“Reid, it’s yours! There hasn't been anyone else!”


“That's a damn lie!  I haven’t touched you in weeks!  It was that geek friend of yours, wasn’t it?” Reid demanded.  “The one who’s always here working on the Plumbot!”

“No!  This baby isn’t Isak’s!  You and I woohooed after we made up about the argument we had about my job and moving to Isla Paradiso...”


“So you’re telling me you never slept with him?”

Maia looked away.  “No, but it was only one time and that was before I even met you!”


“Uh-huh. Maybe I should ask who you haven’t slept with instead!” Reid shook his head in disgust. But then his eyes began to glitter dangerously and he growled, “I know who you betrayed me with! Samael!


Maia’s eyes widened in shock.  Could Reid finally be remembering who he was? But if that was so, why would he be speaking as though Samael was someone else? “What do you know about Samael??”

“I know that I hear you moan his name every night when you’re dreaming! Can’t get enough of him when you’re awake so that you have to do him in your sleep too?” Reid grabbed Maia by the throat with both hands as a mad light gleamed fiercely in his eyes. “How the hell did that bastard steal you away from me again?!” Reid’s grip on Maia’s throat tightened as he lifted her, struggling, off her feet.


Maia couldn’t answer Reid with his thumbs pressed against her airway, even if she could think of what to say. As blackness began to shroud her sight, all Maia could think of was the night time sky. I’m going to die again, she thought, and I’ll be back in that sky in the heart of a star... Then suddenly, a streak of white flashed across Maia’s narrowing field of vision. A comet?  She wondered fuzzily.


But the streak of white wasn’t a comet.  It was Diana. Maia’s cat flew screaming into the chest of the surprised werewolf, her claws tearing furiously at his face as she attempted to protect her owner.

Maia gave one last feeble shove and suddenly found herself free of Reid’s grasp. She dropped to the floor and curled up, wheezing.


Between Maia’s shove and Diana’s attack, Reid had also been knocked to floor, striking his head on the pool table. Diana stood between them, still yowling in warning.

But Reid was done. He got up from the floor, wincing in pain as he rubbed his head. He likely had a concussion in addition to his torn up face, but sanity seemed to return to his eyes as he changed back into his human form. He appeared to be confused and remorseful.


“I... Maia, I’m sorry!” Reid said in shock.  “I don’t know why I... but I shouldn't have! And I never should’ve said...”


Maia interrupted him, forcing the same words he had spoken to her earlier through her swollen throat. “I really don’t give a damn,” she said in a voice thick with angry tears. “Get out.”


Reid nodded and stumbled towards the stairs. He never looked back.




In the following days, Maia found out for certain that she was indeed expecting again. 


It was unfortunate that these babies wouldn’t count towards her task as this was her second pregnancy fathered by Reid, but Maia had raised her adopted son Caspian and all her children’s IFs, none of whom could be included in her challenge total either. It didn’t matter. The more children born and the more souls that existed, the better chance of success the Grim Reaper had of keeping the undead in the underworld. Every soul she could nurture was still important. 

And it was soon time for Maia to begin nurturing two more little ones.

Welcome Piper!


And welcome Beck!


The divorce from their father wasn’t an easy process, and Maia also argued more than once in her phone conversations with her attorney about the division of property and Reid wanting half of her assets.  “I don’t care about the money! As long as Reid relinquishes custody and visitation rights to all six of our children as he agreed to do, let him have it! Once the debt he feels I owe him has been paid in full, there will be no reason for us to ever have contact with one another again. I just want this finalized.”


Eventually, it was. She and Reid were officially divorced, and Maia was a single mother once more. Immediately after leaving the courthouse, Reid moved back to Isla Paradiso and Maia never spoke to him again.


But she did wonder about him sometimes, or at least she wondered about what he meant when he had asked how Samael stole her away from him again.  All Maia knew for certain was that Reid must have remembered at least some of his past life, but it was now clear to her that he had never been Samael after all.


But why had the fairies brought Reid to her in Sam’s place? Who had Reid been to her in their past life? And what had happened back then to ignite so much animosity in Reid in this life? Reid obviously believed that Samael had stolen her from him sometime back then.  But Reid had been wrong about Maia cheating on him with Samael in this life, so he had to be mistaken about the long ago past as well...

Didn’t he?





Author’s Note - Never can true reconcilement grow where wounds of deadly hate have pierced so deep... John Milton, Paradise Lost

14 comments:

  1. MEEEP!!!! I was so scared for a second there!

    Ooh, I knew all the problems would come to a head and it wouldn't be pretty, but EEK! I freaked out when Reid attacked Maia! While she was PREGNANT too! Ooohh that no-good-noun-nasty-enough-to-describe-you-does-not-exist! I cheered for Diana! YAY DIANA! What a good kitty, you should get all the turkey and tuna your little heart desires!

    On the plus side, thank goodness he's gone and Maia realizes he wasn't Samael all along! On the downside, well shucks he's taking like half her fortune. 0.0 At least Maia's made sure he's got no visitation rights or anything.

    Still so many questions though! It seems Reid does remember his distant past... at least some of it, and Maia recognized him in his were-wolf form but still doesn't remember what he was to her in the past. Gah!

    ... I was about to say that Piper and Beck looked very cute but now I realize that they are babies that don't count towards the challenge total and I wonder if I should fear for their little lives. 0.0 Though I still want Grim to be able to contact Maia. Ooohhh, moral dilemma...

    Anyway. Cute babies, as always. Dax, Jude, Indie and Eden (Eden in the Paradise Lost chapter! Teehehehe) all look as beautiful as no-good-daddy and hopefully they will have lots of inner beauty being raised by Maia. The teens all aged up into Mega-Hunks and I still love Cruz's punk look!

    Paradise Lost reference for the win! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Werewolves can be scary when they’re angry, kinda like the Incredible Hulk! O_O

      It took me awhile to think of exactly how I wanted the relationship to end, but I knew I wanted no chance of reconciliation and something that would make Maia realize Reid wasn’t her soulmate after all. And yup, Diana is a hero! :D She may be a wee thing, but she’s fierce and protective and saved Maia (and her babies) from the mad doggie. :3

      Not too bad of a downside though, all things considered. With all the millions Maia has accumulated over time, she still has more than she could ever spend anyway, so getting Reid out of her life was much more important to her. But he is gone for good at least, and another plus is now she won’t ever wish to have him back!

      Yup, yup; lots of questions! xD As far as how much of his past life Reid remembers, I tend to think he didn’t know much more than what he revealed in his statements about Samael and Maia’s alleged betrayal in their shared past life since he seemed confused and distraught about attacking Maia after the fact. Then again, Diana knocked him on his backside and he cracked his head a good one so I guess that could be interpreted as him forgetting it, lol. But as for what actually happened back then and Maia memories of it, there should be a flashback coming sometime in the next few chapters. :)

      Hehe, Piper and Beck don’t count, do they? ;) There will be others to worry about in the near future too though, mwahahaha! >:D

      Thanks! Hehe, yup, Eden’s name was quite fitting for this chapter. xD And also for all the Isla Paradiso references and where Maia and Reid met, which is partly why I named her Eden. And would that make Cruz a punky hunk or a hunky punk? Bahaha!

      Yep, I was stuck for a title at first and that poem popped in my head. And that particular quote from it seemed appropriate. :)

      Delete
    2. Agreed! Though I always found the sims hitting them on the nose with newspaper to be rather comical.

      No reconciliation indeed! And I guess the money is a small price to pay to keep her children and herself safe from him. I will be looking forward to the flashbacks! Gah, I wanna know what Reid was doing creepin' on Maia and Samael cozy campire!

      Others to worry about? 0.0 Oooohhhh boi....

      A hunka-hunka burnin' punk! lol Whichever way you stack the adjectives, he looks good! I love that you pick names the way you do... matching circumstances and later personalities.

      I'm a sucker for quotes from classic literature (clearly!), and Paradise Lost is one of my favorite old epics. Very appropriate! So... does this make Reid, Lucifer?

      Delete
    3. The newspaper thing is pretty hilarious. I’d have Reid growl at Maia and pause to take the dramatic screenshot, then un-pause and lmao when she’d whack him on the head, lol. Afterwards I’d have to try putting on my serious face again and get more pix where Maia actually looked suitably scared, haha.

      I always look forward to doing flashbacks! xD You'll understand why Reid was creeping on that cozy campfire scene soonish. (And he wasn’t the only one!) O_O

      Yep, others to worry about indeed! >:D Remember when I suggested the possibility of bringing back some of Maia’s grown children and could decide to off them? Welp, there are a couple chapters coming up where a few of them will be appearing again! So you never know... mwahahaha!

      LOLZ! I guess I could’ve made virtuoso Cruz an Elvis impersonator instead! :P And thanks! I like choosing names that fit with what’s happening in the story in some way, even if it isn’t obvious. Reid and Maia’s kids were given names that, to me, had a surfer or hippie vibe, but they all also had additional significance, like Eden was related to paradise/Isla Paradiso where they met, Indie was named for the music they danced to at their wedding, etc.

      Yeah, I figured you were! xD But nope, I confer full Lucifer honors on your Thane, the Dragon (put to second rout!), who would rather reign in Hell than serve in Heaven! :P Actually, the original Reid from my other save could be considered Lucifer-like though. There, he is my surfer bum turned heart-breaker turned gold-digger/assassin... quite the fall there too, huh? ;) But I did change Reid up a bit for his role in this story, so he’s not so much the fallen angel here—although some of his old personality did come through in that he was still a flirty charmer who wanted money! xD

      Delete
    4. lol, she does look suitably scared in her pictures! Though it would have been amusing to see a whack-a-head one. =D (I think I recall her hitting Hamilton with the newspapers though, so that might be just as good.)

      He wasn't the only one creeping on the campfire? 0.0 Now I'm even more eager to learn more!

      Oohhhhh dear... I was hoping I could mark Maia's grown children on the 'safe' list, but I guess not! lol Though I suppose if one of Maia's kids has to die, I would prefer it be a grown adult than a kid still living under Maia's roof.

      I like the DJ route better, though he probably would look good in an Elvis outfit. =D Can't wait to see what you name the next batch of babies!

      Thane will gladly accept Lucifer honors from his current position in the underworld. >.< rofl Reid did kind of remind me of a Lucifer-like figure because he 'came masquerading as an angel of light' aka 'was a hunky summer fling who appeared to be a soul mate at first' but then wound up breaking Maia's heart and stealing all her money. Half her money. More money than he should have been getting. =P Though it would be interesting to learn more about the original Reid from your first save. An assassin, you say? 0.0 How intriguing!

      Delete
    5. I think she does too, if only because I didn’t take any pix of her beating the snot out of Reid in her righteous wrath, lol—this newspaper has 150 thousand words; let me show you how much words can hurt! >:D And yes, poor abused Hamilton! xD That werewolf got the whack-a-mole treatment all the time; not only by Maia but by Tessa too! Hehe.

      Nope, Reid wasn’t the only one watching! I think it will be wicked fun to share who else was there when we get to that point! :D

      I feel the same way about underage children’s deaths actually, and tbh I did choose the intended “sacrifice” a long time ago. But comment misdirection and red herrings in the story are too awesome to resist, so I maintain that it could be anybody and there is no “safe” list. :P

      Me too! And while Maia isn’t pregnant yet, I am working on the next chapter as I can, so she will be soonish. :)

      xD Thane did get his wish then! ;) But yeah, Reid was slightly Luciferian even in his toned down role, haha. Speaking of the money—I even had Reid and Maia get married on a Tuesday because of the old rhyme from folklore about wedding days (Monday for health, Tuesday for wealth, etc.), lol.

      Original Reid is interesting—his traits are evil, athletic, mean-spirited, loves to swim and great kisser—plus irresistible and charismatic for the two extra traits from University—with the Heartbreaker LTW because it gives more points than Gold Digger or Master Romancer, though I intended to achieve those goals with him as well. (I swapped out evil for ambitious and gave him the Swimming in Cash LTW for this story, in addition to making him a werewolf.) Anyway, original Reid grew up homeless in IP and learned to charm his way through life to get by. At first he’d “befriend” others only for food or a place to stay, but he soon began seducing rich women and conning them out of their fortunes (moved in and sold off their expensive art and electronics, etc.). But hey, it helped pay for his uni! xD Still, he became known for breaking hearts all over town so he was forced to look for employment since all he did was collect and sell treasures from underwater diving work, but he had a hard time getting or keeping a regular job. He eventually was recruited to the mobster career ( NRAAS “The Family” career) and began working as a hit man (I have the assassination custom skill and a couple weapon mods so he has a variety of ways take out his targets). After having a few kills under his belt, he married one of his former sugar mommas and caused her to have a lethal accident in order to inherit her wealth and home. For now, he continues on in his assassination career while also living the wealthy playboy lifestyle. Also, for every kill he makes, he knocks up someone in the town—take a life, make a life! LOL Idk if he will ever be redeemed or if one of his offspring will take on “the family business”; maybe I’ll make a legacy challenge of some type out of it and the heir will be one of his evil-minded spawn, lol.

      Delete
    6. Poor abused Hamilton, indeed!

      Oooh, I'm excited! =D

      I know... Safe list? Ptttppptthhhpp, what was I thinking? 0.0 I should know better. Oohhhh, knowing you've already picked somebody makes me antsy. And I would say that I like misdirection and red herrings too, because it keeps me guessing. =D

      I wouldn't say Thane is "reigning" in the underworld at the present... so maybe half his wish. =D Rolf, that's funny about the old rhyme. Which day of the week did Maia and Charlie get married on? Friday for losses? =D

      Wow, Reid was sure busy in his past life! Sounds like a fun way to play though... I remember you mentioned once you thought a great idea for a baby challenge would be a hit man/assassin who had to make a life for all the lives they took. It would certainly make things interesting. I rather like the idea of making a legacy-challenge out of it. Evil sims are pretty fun!

      Delete
    7. But at least things worked out pretty well for Hamilton in the end. :)

      Yays!

      Haha, right? :P Yeah, I had to choose somebody to die so Grim could reach Maia due to his reaper limitations, but it wasn’t easy and I think I’ll have a hard time with it when I get to that point. And I gotta say I love to be kept guessing about what will happen next in stories myself; pondering the various possibilities is exciting to me!

      Ha, half his wish then! (But part of me still wonders! O_O) I actually don’t remember for sure what day Maia married Charlie Ray, but the losses day would've been perfect! Interestingly, I’ve occasionally seen the Thursday and Friday rhymes switched around where it states Thursday for losses and Friday for crosses, which actually makes more sense to me. But either way, a Thursday, Friday or Saturday would’ve worked well since they are all considered unlucky, so we’ll just go with one of those, lol.

      It’s definitely not my normal way to play, but it can be pretty fun! And yep, I remember mentioning an assassin style game as both a 100 BC type and an entertaining way to clear out the world for your own Sims rather than simply annihilating them, lol. If/when I ever have time to play more than just my BC and go back to Reid’s old save, I’ll probably do the legacy thing though, and whichever child of his rolls the “worst” traits (including evil) would be my heir. Maybe I’ll get lucky and have an evil insane klepto or something! xD

      Delete
    8. After all he suffered, I think he earned his happy ending! =D

      I think I'll have a hard time reading it when you get to that point! lol, actually I'm pretty certain I can handle character death, even if it's a beloved baby. (Though I still hope it's not a baby! 0.0 )

      lol, wonders what? Wonders if when he arrived in hell, he decided he was going to run the place? Ooh! Then he started an uprising in the Netherworld and found a way to wage war on the living world! Gosh, that's actually a pretty fun idea, why didn't I think of that while I was writing? *head desk* Anyway, yeah those last three days of the week didn't look too favorable, so I guess any of the three would work. =D

      lol, I hope Reid can create an evil insane klepto then! I think it would be funny to see if you could get progressively worse heirs... sort of a de-evolution, or maybe just an evolution of evil so to speak. Evil insane klepto mean spirited brooding grumpy, etc.

      Delete
    9. I think so too! :)

      I’m okay with character death most of the time, but it’s still sad even when it’s expected, like with your Mr. Peters. But here, even knowing death is coming, it won’t be of “natural causes” so that might make it harder. T_T

      Yes, that is exactly what I wonder! xD I’m not sure what part of the Netherworld Thane went to, but maybe he could’ve recruited the deranged ghosts from the Realm of Chaos. And maybe those ghosts could’ve infiltrated the Void and been brought back with Philosopher’s Stones by Sophia’s descendents, who think they are doing her work but are unaware of who the ghosts actually serve! O_O

      Lol, I love the evolution of evil idea! And I think diva would be a great trait to add to that list—can you imagine an evil diva?! ROFL

      Delete
    10. Well, part of me is always sad to see someone go... regardless of how. The other part understands that the danger isn't really 'real' unless bodies are hitting the floor. There can be no true triumph without loss. Of course, I don't know who you've decided to kill so I'm not sure how badly it'll hurt... but I'm prepared! *huggles tissue box*

      lol, I love that idea, actually! I did want to have a few deranged ghosts make it back from the Realm of Chaos, though I would probably be more worried about Constantine doing the recruiting than Thane. Or maybe they finally set aside their differences and decided to band together. Dunno. lol I still love a lot of the ideas that I had for the legacy and I'll probably be using them somewhere else one day.

      Lol, yes I can imagine an evil diva! That would be vastly amusing!

      Delete
    11. Yes, no triumph without loss is exactly it; too easy equals less meaningful. Hard-won victories are much more satisfying and make you appreciate what the characters had to go through to get there much more. And sometimes positive possibilities are born of misfortune, bringing about circumstances that might never have come to pass otherwise. But even though a death is necessary for my story and won’t be in vain, it’s still a sad situation.

      I think setting out to destroy Reecephia’s progeny definitely could be something that would cause Thane and Constantine to join forces. O_O I do hope you can use those ideas you still have in something someday! :)

      I agree; it would be hilarious! Divas like slapping other Sims for every little offense, and if they were also evil and mean-spirited—that could get nasty! xD

      Delete
  2. Sorry that i only read it now... But it is an awesome chapter..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally okay! The updates are here to read whenever you have the time. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! <3